Today on Ask Cahlen I’m answering the question, “Why did you stop living in a yurt?”
So for those of you don’t know, I spent a decent amount of time, about a year and a half maybe two years, living in a structure called a yurt. The first one was actually a Mongolian Ger which is the same thing as a Yurt just from Mongolia, and it has a kind of a unique structure to it, and then the second one I had was one that actually owned myself which was from a company called Camping Yurts (campingyurts.com).
Today on Ask Cahlen I’m answering the question how did the Camping Yurt hold up.
So for those of you who don’t know, there was a period of time probably a year or two ago where I was living on a permaculture farm in a yurt. I bought it from the company called Camping Yurts (campingyurts.com) which is a company which makes yurts which are very portable, so it’s easy to pack them into your car and take them on a short trip. I was actually using it as a permanent structure and I lived in it for probably over six months to almost a year, I can’t remember for sure.
I spotted one of my Mealworms molting and made this quick video to show you the process. They normally have an brownish-orange color to their skin, but they’re bright white right after molting. I think they darken in color pretty quickly afterwards because I rarely see light colored mealworms in the farm and I’m pretty sure they molt regularly.
The long wet Winter is on the horizon, and I needed to waterproof the Yurt’s roof to prevent moisture from seeping inside and mold from growing on the cloth. I purchased some cheap Billboard Vinyl which was once on one of those big advertisements you see on the side of the road, and cut it in a big circle to serve as my new waterproof roof. It’s working great so far!
When the first rains came this year, I noticed that a single specific location in the Yurt was leaking: The Stove Jack! Upon further inspection I discovered that the water was seeping in through a strap that extended both outside and inside.
I decided to try sealing with some old tree sap we have lying around, but that was too brittle once it cooled. Instead I used a Turpentine, Beeswax and Coconut Oil mixture, and it worked perfectly!